As the initial idea for the rig with a motion path didn't work out very well in making the model move like a caterpillar, I had to think of another way to rig it. I'm not much of a rigger however, so I got a bit of advice and help from Zi, and together we managed to figure out a way to rig it and make it move, although minimal, but it adds to the fact that it's a robo bug and therefore can't be as flexible as a normal caterpillar. 

I first started by adding joints down the length of the caterpillar. I then added an IK Handel Tool from the head joint to the end. I tried moving the IK inwards, but the joints were moving downwards instead of upwards, so I had to add a locator to the bottom of the model and parented it to the IK handle. 
The next thing to do was to parent the mesh to the joints. I didn't skin it because it would have become too flexible and lose it's robotic nature. This method keeps the sort of stiff movement that would be expected of a robotic bug. 
I selected the main parts of the body and connected it to it's joint. I also parented the antenna and spikes to the body parts so that it will all move together. I tested it out and it was working fine.
Also, in order for me to be able to move the caterpillar with ease, I created two circles. I parented one of them to the IK by the head and the other to the joint at the back. This was so I could easily select the parts I needed by simply selecting the circle instead, as it was always so tricky to select the IK and the joints through the mesh. 
Picture
The two circles in the back, helping the animation process easier for myself.
 


Comments


Comments are closed.